The Rochester Rose Society was organized in 1919, with James Dunbar as its first President. By 1920, its membership had reached nearly 250. On June 28, 1950, the Maplewood Rose Garden Planning Committee worked with the Rochester City Director of Parks to select and obtain plants.
In 1951, the Society, with the help of the City of Rochester, enhanced the Maplewood Rose Garden, which had been part of the Frederick Law Olmsted firm’s original design concept. The Maplewood Park Botanical Rose Garden was dedicated on June 24, 1951, with over 4800 bushes of 100 varieties. The first Annual Rose Day took place on June 24, 1952 with over 500 attendees.